Monday, May 4, 2009

Lausanne, the first few days

It's been only three days since I arrived in Lausanne. Before already jumping to all kinds of philosophical conclusions, it may just be better to stick to the facts.

For the moment I will be living in a 'compact' 8 m2 studio on the Avenue Dapples. 8 m2 sounds worse than it actually is, since the place is efficiently organised, is in the middle of the city and allows me to move out almosta t any time I would find something permanent.

Today I went to work for the first day. I will be working in the Cancer Institute of the EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. I will probably soon try to write a bit about the research I will be doing. For now you can find some background information here.

My parents were nice enough to drive me to Lausanne on Friday. The weekend we spent together, seeing a bit of the city and the surroundings. Lausanne lies on the shores of Lake Geneva
(or Lake Léman, as the Swiss like to call it). Since it is a Swiss city, there's several hundred meters of difference in height within the city. I'm glad my newly bought bike has quite a number of gears!
So far, my first impression is that the city is not too big and a wild. A lot of events and activities are announced though, so I don't think I will be easily bored. Soon I hope to give you more details!

2 comments:

  1. Hee Daantje, dat gaat inderdaad heel snel allemaal! Hopelijk ga je je snel thuis voelen. Ik kom je zeker opzoeken als we weer een keer aan deze kant van de wereld zijn!

    Liefs
    Marleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! that is one small room. though as you say the efficiency is impressive. i especially liked the kitchen cabinet thing, groovy!

    ReplyDelete