Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Satisfaction

The Clash already sang about it decades ago: fighting the system is pointless. Usually I try to not be bothered with bureaucracy. This week I had to act twice though. And, to my surprise: I succeeded only using the french language.



Act 1.
Situation: Mail from the electricity company, whether I can grant them permission to take the monthly payment from my Post-account.
Issue: Rather than the Post, I have a jetset bank taking care of my money.
Solution: Visit office and use my best french to ask for a replacement of the form.
Result: We got it!

Act 2.
Situation: Mail at my old apartment from the residential insurance company. They have received my change of address.
Issue: They have changed my old address to my old address.
Solution: Send email in french asking for a second attempt to change address.
Result: New policy within a day and appologies.

Ah, the sweet taste of victory. The Dead Kennedys knew very well what that was like!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Daan,
    Try doing a tax return or university travel form in French next. Toppunt van bureaucratie hier! :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeft al dat georganiseer (sprak zij niet vrij van enige jaloezie) ook een downside ?? ... ik hoorde hier van iemand die ook in Zwitserland heeft gewoond dat er (huis?)regels/wetten zijn over de houding van de man tijdens de toiletgang: dat je niet staand mag plassen, omdat dat teveel lawaai maakt! Mijn bron heeft meegemaakt dat er geklaagd werd - of men dat op zaterdagavond voortaan toch anders wilde aanpakken!
    Heb je daar iets over gehoord? Tijd voor een onderzoekje als je 't mij vraagt!
    Groet uit Parijs!

    ReplyDelete